Using Yuri’s Study Cards in class
Yuri’s Study Cards can be used in multiple ways. Students can use them for revision, studying, essay writing and homework. But did you know that you can incorporate them in your class as well?
Doing activities with the cards get students straight into grammar. Students get familiar with the different verb endings, pronouns, possessives, etc. They can start seeing the logic behind the grammar. The colours on the card make it an easy and approachable way to learn.
As they get more and more familiar with the colours and different charts, they can then combine different tables in order to form bigger and more complex sentences. Grammar becomes less overwhelming and more useful as they can see how they can put the different parts of speech in practice.
Doing exercises with your card in class adds to their learning process in a fun, meaningful and practical way. Instead of memorising a few phrases by heart, students will be able to create their own sentences and they’ll become more independent.
After a few activities, you’ll be amazed at how much of a boost they get when it comes to grammar. When they understand it, they tend to enjoy learning and are also prone to make fewer mistakes.
The cards are designed to be used from 1st to 6th year.
In first year, you can use many basic tables from the card, such as articles, pronouns, possessives, the verb to be, adjectives, expressions, present tense verb endings and some irregular verbs.
During the Leaving Cert years, the basic tables are always used for reinforcement. The rest of the tables with the different verb tenses and more irregular verbs can be integrated.
Benefits of using YSC in class for 1st, 2nd and 3rd-year students:
- They start their language learning process with a very solid foundation.
- By having the card in the first years, they are more likely to learn the verb endings, pronouns, articles, etc. They can have a clear overview of the language.
- They start making their own sentences at a very basic level. This gives them confidence and encouragement to create more complex sentences to start expressing their own ideas.
- As they move on to different years, even if they change textbooks or notes, they still hold a colourful visual map of the parts of speech which they need all the way through to 6th year.
Benefits of using YSC in class for Transition and Leaving Cert students:
- They have constant access to grammar points they haven’t yet mastered.
- They have a chance to have constant revision and practise which will reaffirm their learning.
- They have a clear overview of how easy points such as articles, pronouns and verb tenses work in order to have a solid foundation.
- They can easily access the endings of new tenses learnt. This gives them a chance to compare tables with other previous charts. Some students might even find patterns which will give them a deeper insight of the language.